Good news, Rowdy fans. It looks like Kyle Busch is inching closer toward returning to NASCAR after testing in a Late Model car last week.
It may still be a few weeks before he sits in the cockpit of his familiar No. 18 Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing, but Busch did test a Late Model car last week, per Lee Spencer of Motorsport.com. That was the first time the JGR driver had been behind the wheel in 10 weeks since his Xfinity Series wreck at Daytona on Feb. 21.
Gibbs spoke about Busch’s recovery, telling Spencer, “We have a program for him and we’re moving forward with everything — and that was part of it.”
Following the test, the report noted Busch was ready to race in a Late Model car for Kyle Busch Motorsports at Hickory Motor Speedway. Busch might run more tests at Caraway Speedway in Asheboro, NC. Robby Lyons, a driver on the CARS Tour, heard the news on Sunday night.
— Robby Lyons (@RLRacing2) May 4, 2015
Busch would later put out a tweet of his own to dispel the rumors.
I will NOT b racing this wked. When I return it will b 2 my M&M’s Toyota 4 JGR. OFFICIAL release will come from KBM or JGR.
— Kyle Busch (@KyleBusch) May 4, 2015
Regardless of when he decides to return, NASCAR CEO Brian France has already said he’ll likely give Busch a waiver for the Chase if he wins a race. While Erik Jones will take over for this weekend’s race in Kansas, but he told reporters on Friday he was only confirmed for the May 9 race.
“Beyond that, I honestly don’t know,” he said. “I’d love to run (the car) again. We’ll have to see how things go. I’ll do the best we can and see what happens.”
For now, NASCAR fans have to wait for an official announcement from Busch and JGR about his upcoming plans.
Follow Chicken Bone Alley on Twitter.