Kevin Harvick spoke with Kasey Kahne about Hendrick rumors

May 13, 2016; Dover, DE, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Kevin Harvick puts on his helmet during practice for the AAA 400 Drive For Autism at Dover International Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O'Haren-USA TODAY Sports

May 13, 2016; Dover, DE, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Kevin Harvick puts on his helmet during practice for the AAA 400 Drive For Autism at Dover International Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports

Sportsmanship is not a necessity, but sometimes it’s in the best interest of both sides. In the case of Kevin Harvick and Kasey Kahne, it’s a matter of dealing with something that should have never been an issue in the first place.

Earlier in the week, rumors were erroneously spread about Harvick moving over to Hendrick Motorsports and taking over Kahne’s No. 5 car. As ridiculous as it sounds, Harvick was genuinely upset about the completely false information spread by irresponsible reporting.

So what did he do about it? Harvick took action.

“It got so out of control, I actually went to Kasey Kahne and I said, ‘Look man, here’s what’s going on,'” Harvick said. “I told him, there’s not been one person to call me from your organization. I want you to have the trust in your team, I want you to believe in your team, and I want you to keep working on the things you’re working at. Here’s what I’m doing, here’s what I see, here’s how it is going to go.”

Kahne confirmed Harvick’s act of kindness, saying the Stewart-Haas Racing driver spoke to him at Phoenix.

May 13, 2016; Dover, DE, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Kasey Kahne stands in the garage during practice for the AAA 400 Drive For Autism at Dover International Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O'Haren-USA TODAY Sports

May 13, 2016; Dover, DE, USA; NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Kasey Kahne stands in the garage during practice for the AAA 400 Drive For Autism at Dover International Speedway. Mandatory Credit: Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports

After dispelling the rumors earlier this week for seemingly the 100th time, Harvick signed a new extension with SHR. The deal has him set through 2020, which ends any concern over him leaving the team due to the move to Ford Performance.

As for the rumor mill, Harvick isn’t even sure where they came from. He shared his thoughts earlier this week, saying that “People make s*** up” and doubled down again on Friday at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

“Just some crazy rumors, however they got started, they got started,” Harvick said. “I don’t mind getting in the middle of some of these games. Unfortunately, it just turned into a spiraling, out-of-control rumor.”

Harvick is currently fifth in the Sprint Cup points standings with one win at Phoenix. Already locked into the Chase and having a new contract, The Closer should be more relaxed heading into Charlotte and during the second half of the season.

 

 

Follow Chicken Bone Alley on Twitter and like us on Facebook.

Comments

comments

,